vrijdag 1 augustus 2014

Vroom with a View: Movies & Vespa


From Vroom with a View (Peter Moore):
The idea to ride around Italy on a Vespa had first come to me as a teenager. It was a wet Sunday afternoon and I was watching TV. Weekend television in the seventies in Australia usually meant a Jerry Lewis movie or, if you were really unlucky, the twenty-fifth rerun of an Abbott and Costello flick. But that day some inspired soul at TCN 9 decided to show an old black and white Italian movie starring Sophia Loren.To this day I can't recall which movie it was. I have zero recall of the plot and couldn't tell you for the life of me which other actors were in it. But I do remember with startling clarity that it involved Sophia riding a Vespa around the cobbled streets of a tiny Italian village, and that the grainy image stirred something in me. There, on the screen of our battered Grundig, I saw the epitome of style, sophistication and dropdead gorgeousness. I also realised with a Neanderthal teenage 'huh!' that Sophia Loren wasn't too bad, either.I kept an eye out for Italian movies from that moment on. Whether it was a home-grown classic, such as La Dolce Vita, or one of the Hollywood variety, such as Roman Holiday, there seemed to be one incontrovertible truth: all a guy had to do to look cool was jump on a Vespa and buzz down to a café, a beach or glamorous nightclub. No matter the time of day or night, there would always be a clutch of beautiful women with large,dangerously pointy breasts waiting to flirt with him. And once he threw his leg over a Vespa, even with a three-day growth and crumpled suit he was nonchalant style personified. To a young guy still wearing flannelette shirts and ugh boots in the western suburbs of Sydney it was a heady revelation indeed.So it became my dream to go to Italy and buy a Vespa - an older one, with saddle seats and a little too much chrome. I'd ride around the countryside drinkingespresso and flirting with women with curvaceous figures and dark, burning eyes. I'd the live la dolce vita, the sweet life, like Marcello Mastroianni, in a sharp suit and Ray Bans. And, naturally, I would look - and be - exceedingly cool.It remained just a dream through my teens and my twenties, when getting a degree and a job became my main priority. And in my thirties, too, although the sight of Gwyneth Paltrow and Matt Damon on a Vespa in The Talented Mr Ripley did have me contemplating the idea of chucking it all in and running away to Italy for a couple of weeks.(14-15)



Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten