donderdag 26 juni 2014

Vespa maintenance Zen

Scooter in the Sticks: Motorcycle Maintenance: To Zen or Not Zen

So why maintain the Vespa myself?

I've asked this question more than once lying on the cold concrete floor of our unheated garage trying to position my bifocals so I could see or each time I didn't have the right tool or part. Why do this work when it would be easy to schedule our local Vespa technicians?

I had to revisit Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert Pirsig to find a more eloquent way to express the reasons I've engaged maintenance of the scooter. Chapter 2 is a great chapter wrestling with the idea of doing your own work. Pirsig writes:

"Here is the machine, isolated in time and in space from everything else in the universe. It has no relationship to you, you have no relationship to it..."

Pirsig rejects this notion and outlines the contemporary relationship most have towards their vehicles. A motorcycle or scooter is personal in a way a car can't be. Perhaps it is the inherent risk in riding, the physical exposure or vulnerability or the heightened awareness of the world that makes the machine more connected to me. I entrust my life to my scooter in a real sense and having a basic understanding of the basic mechanical functioning and maintenance seems a reasonable step to ensure a successful relationship. For me, I believe performing routine checks and maintenance of the Vespa keeps me honest, it keeps me paying attention, and it keeps me safe. And it makes riding richer. It makes sense to me in my head. Time will tell if it works in practice.

I'm no mechanic either but I don't want to feel helpless on the road should something happen. And I want to be able to repair failures myself on long trips that otherwise would spell the end of an adventure. Tires, drivebelt, ignition, cables, brakes, things that wear out or break. With the right parts and cooperation of a service station I could keep the Vespa on the road. The mechanical adventure. Not for everyone but I merely suggest you consider it. When I started this work I figured the worse that could happen is I would have to haul a half torn apart Vespa to the dealer to save me. A lesson in humility. 


Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten